Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Afterwards


My friend Satya Robin published a new book today.

I've no doubt it will be a good read, but it's interesting to me in other ways.

I first met Satya, or Fiona as I knew her then (she's since become a Buddhist monk), more than ten years ago, on a course for business facilitators. We were placed in the same 'support and challenge' group, and being a trained counsellor she was good at that sort of stuff - by far the best on the programme. And I especially remember us sharing doubts about the the direction our carers were heading - neither of us sure which way to go.

As it happened, I stuck with the corporate world; Satya became a full-time writer and a counsellor. Despite our different paths, we've remained in touch ever since -  and both choices were right I think.

Satya could easily find a traditional publisher and indeed used to have one - but in recent years she's chosen to self publish, using Kindle and a network of contacts and social media to promote sales. I'm in awe of her constant initiative and regard her as one of the best and most innovative networkers I know.

It strikes me that this approach to self-publishing is a good for all writers, new and old. In today's challenged times, even well-established authors find it hard to attract mainstream support. One option is crowd-funding through agencies such as Unbound - see here for Rory Maclean's project on Transnistria. But while traditional print still has its place, there's also one for well produced, well promoted - and well written - ebooks, that can be made available without the need to jumping quite such high hurdles.

There's a lot of bloggers and would be writers who could learn from Satya. Meanwhile, if you'd like to read the reviews and buy her book, click here.

Enough from me for today - or actually, not quite

For to celebrate the launch of Afterwards, Satya has produced a gallery of works inspired by the title - if you click the link, you'll find an image and some writing by me.

2 comments:

  1. Satya sounds like a very interesting lady, I shall read the review of her book. One of my great friends is a published author of several books, but struggling to get her most recent (in the same style) book published. She is considering self publishing, but I suspect her busy life as a successful sculptor will prevent her from being able to promote her book fully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence, I've been contacted by Incredible Edible Todmorden today, who are currently crowdfunding a book telling the story of the project. I'll also be meeting someone goingdown the Unbound route tomorrow.

    I must come back to this post and explore your links...

    ReplyDelete